|Willem Buys turning the bearings|
I asked Willem Buys to take a break from his goldsmithing to turn up the bearings from high molecular weight poly-ethylene. My little Unimat just could not grip the pieces, but Willem did a fine job. It took me a while to get a universal joint to fit on the flex joint. The one I got was, of course, inevitably, imperial, so I have to shim a 25.4mm yoke to a 25mm shaft. And all the ship plate is in thousands of inches. I could not get imperial grub screws, only bolts, which would work for the moment. 6mm key bar will work on a 6.2 keyway, I hope. If only the USA could get to honour their commitment to Napoleon...
|Marking the thrust collers|
|Rounding the collars|
I know the bearings and stuffing box will give rise to comments, so an explanation. The bearing at the propellor end could have been an old-style cutless bearing, if I could find one. However, several engineering people suggested either PET or HMWPE. Both should be water lubricating, although both have rather bad expansion rates when they run hot. A pump rebuilder told me they replace bronze bushings on industrial pumps with HMWPE. Vesconite claims to do stern bearings for oil tankers from their product. So I will try my way. Refitting is always possible.
|Drilling the holes for the grub screws|
|New tap works better|
But if the outboard parts arrive, I intend going sailing in the next week or so, just to try out the modifications we have made.
|Stuffing box/stern gland, showing oil seals|
|Trial fitting of shaft. It will be cut to length once we get it all to the |
boat and installed.